Thursday, August 8, 2013

Taking the Unwired Mom 2 Week Challenge

I have joined Sarah Mae's Unwired Mom 2 Week Challenge.  While I don't feel addicted to the internet, I have jumped down the "rabbit hole" and watched 5 minutes turn into an hour or more.  I want my children to have memories of me interacting with them - not seeing me hunched over a laptop or racing to answer a text.

When I worked outside the home, I was tethered to my work phone - 24 hours a day.  I really noticed the impact after I was done working.  I no longer needed to be tethered to my phone and I had the luxury of answering calls and messages as desired.  But it took my family over 6 months to get used to this new found freedom.  The phone would "beep" and one of my children would go running for my phone and rush it to me - "here Mommy!"  I felt so sad, and a little angry.  What had I done to them?  What was I teaching them?



Fast forward a year or two, and they have calmed down on the phone.  But now there is the internet and Facebook - good tools if used wisely.  A plethera of information is literally at our fingertips - recipes, crafts, birthday ideas, answers to questions.... But do I really need to know what Susy fed her cat for dinner?  (Okay, I am exaggerating here....slightly)  There is SO MUCH information it can quickly become TMI - TOO MUCH INFORMATION - and overwhelm and muddle our minds with needless input.

Over the past few weeks I have been sensing the need to stream line and guard more carefully what information "goes in".  The Holy Spirit knows exactly what I need to know.  If I will listen, He is always faithful to guide and help me (and you).  I am reminded to go to Him first, not the internet where I can easily slip down into that rabbit hole and emerge an hour later thinking "where did I just go?"

When I saw Sarah Mae's challenge, I jumped in.  I think my children will enjoy this challenge with me.  And what a great way to gear up for the new school year - spending 2 weeks practicing being present with my most cherished blessings - creating a new habit of enjoying the moment WITH them.

So, ready or not, here I go!

unwiredchallengebutton1


2 comments:

Gabby said...

You nailed it on the head! That's exactly how I feel. No, I don't feel addicted to the internet, and no, I don't feel like I'm neglecting my kids. I feel fully engaged. But it's a Pandora's Box that needs to be kept in it's place VERY wisely, and I'm hoping to learn some good boundaries to put in place so that I can keep this issue in check. Glad to find you at the Unwired link up!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are joining in! And yes, the Internet is a wonderful tool, when we master it. Can't wait to see how your journey unfolds!